This is your news page.
Content here will be ignored and replaced by your news Posts.
What is a SPECIALIST HIGH SKILLS MAJOR (SHSM)?
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests.
Check out this video for a detailed explanation of SHSM at WRDSB schools.
How does the SHSM help?
Students have the opportunity to:
• gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school;
• earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and C.P.R. qualifications.
Why pursue a SHSM in Health and Wellness, the Environment, Arts and Culture, Transportation or Information & Communication Technology?
SHSM programs enable students to:
• build a foundation of sector-focused knowledge and skills before graduating and entering apprenticeship training, college, university, or an entry-level position in the workplace;
• customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents while meeting the requirements for the OSSD;
• select a bundle of 9 required credits focused on sector-specific knowledge and skills that are: designed to help prepare students for a postsecondary opportunity of their choice in this economic sector; designed with the flexibility to allow students to shift between pathways (e.g., switch from a pathway leading to college or to an apprenticeship pathway) or to discontinue the SHSM program should their career plans change in Grade 11 or 12.
• Co-op is required.
For more information and to sign up, see your Guidance Counsellor or:
Health & Wellness: Ms. Caplin
Environment: Mr. Lutz
Arts & Culture: Ms. Smith-Seto
Transportation: Mr. Biro
I.C.T.: Mr. Cipolla
This information expires once printed. Please always refer to the online version for the most current information.